Monday 4 April 2011

Legs today

Another lunchtime visit to the gym today, which was preceded by an almost prophetic quip to a colleague that I was 'off to rupture my hamstrings'.

Started with my usual weighted squats/calf raises supersets on the Smith Machine and midway through my third set of squats the top of my right bicep femoris started feeling tight, then somewhat weak.  After a couple of minutes of dynamic stretches I performed another set with 45k on the machine to test it out and the tightness had mainly dissipated, but the weakness was still there.

Still had split squats, leg curls and more calf raises to do.  wtf?

I blame not walking around enough at work and that's going to be my excuse for the next few days for wandering around a lot (tight hams can lead, in the long term, to back trouble and I guess my work wouldn't want that).

Anyway, back to the choppa, erm, gym...

More stretches, a bit of walking about and the leg was feeling good, so it was right onto three sets of ten split squats (on each leg).  Man, these are painful, but good at working the legs - my left leg was wiped out on the last rep of the third set and I had to just plonk myself back onto the bench for a good couple of minutes before heading through to the other room for leg curls and leg presses.

New leg curl machine at the gym that you lie face down on and perform the reps in a rather prone position (at least it feels prone when Dorian is about ::shivers::) seems to work well and is more natural feeling than the old seated one.  3x10x28kg on this machine before having a blast on the leg press (not in my schedule for today, but always good for finally killing the legs off).

Leg pressing 225lb, 285lb then 315lb for 15 reps each set did indeed kill them off.

In pain, but in a good way, I decided that a few k on the bike should loosen the legs up and work some lactic acid out, so the session was finished off with 15-20minutes of Archer viewing whilst pedalling at level 6.

Back at work, I nearly fell going up the stairs, where I tend to take the first three steps at reception in a bound, I barely cleared the first step and was thankful for the banister (not to mention that nobody was there to witness my stumble) to grab onto.

Get to the choppa

No comments:

Post a Comment